The Chicago Student Invention Convention (a program of Chicago Innovation) is seeking interested K-8th grade schools, libraries, youth centers, and after school programs across Illinois to participate in the soon to be Illinois Student Invention Convention. While the program will not be open statewide until school year 2023-2024, we are looking for K-8th grade teachers/schools/after-school programs who are interested in joining a pilot cohort that will implement our free program with students this school year (2022-2023) in order to provide feedback on their experience and thereby support our expansion planning process.
Please reach out to Program Manager Nicole Rodriguez
([email protected]) with any questions.
Participating teachers/schools/programs will gain access to:
- Free, flexible NGSS-aligned curriculum that includes lessons and activities that guide students through the invention process. Participating teachers are encouraged to adapt these materials to fit within their current context and classroom needs.
- Mentorship + Resources – industry professional mentorship for students as they design their original prototype + ongoing professional development for teacher and on-demand access to program manager for implementation support. Teachers will also receive a small supply stipend.
- Culminating competition – opportunities for students who are participating in our pilot to compete with their prototype in a series of escalating public competitions at the regional, national, and global level.
- Attend a 90 minute virtual orientation session (multiple options from Aug 16 – Nov 8) and a 60 minute competition information session (multiple virtual options in February 2023)
- Utilize invention convention curriculum with your students and select at least 1 student to register for the regional competition
- Attend virtual judging competition on Saturday, March 25th (~10am-12pm CT)
- Participate in a mid year check-in call and end of year feedback call with Invention Convention Program Manager (scheduled at your convenience)
- (Optional But Encouraged) Attend the in-person student showcase & awards ceremony on at Illinois Tech on Saturday, April 29th (~11am-2pm CT)
Please reach out to Program Manager Nicole Rodriguez ([email protected]) with any questions.